Friday, February 26, 2010

A PLUS AND MINUS RANT



The other day someone tweeted that the leading actresses in Working Girl were 2 sizes larger than they would be in a movie today!

Today Ryan Tubridy had an item on his radio programme about what he kept referring to as ‘Supersize’ models. He did finally get it right and used the ‘correct’ term Plus Size models.

But here’s the crunch – Plus Size Models are generally anything over a size 10. Yep – that’s right OVER A SIZE 10. Plus Size models are usually sizes 12, 14 or 16. So, girls – anyone over a size 10 is a Plus Size – in the modelling world. Now I will admit that I couldn’t listen to the full item on the programme.. but I am appalled. What kind of bullshit is this? What message does this send to our daughters?

So I am stating right here – loud and clear.

SIZES 12 – 16 ARE NORMAL, REAL, WOMEN WITH BOOBS AND BUMS.
THEY ARE THE WAY THAT WOMEN ARE MEANT TO LOOK.
PLUS SIZE SURELY COULD PERHAPS BE SOMEONE LIKE DAWN FRENCH (bless her!).

So I want to start a campaign to state that models and actresses of tiny sizes – 4 to 10 presumably ARE NOT NORMAL. They should henceforth be called MINUS SIZE MODELS unless they are children, who are meant to be that size.

I am reminded of the infamous quote given by Kate Moss who said “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”. Well Kate, you must never have experienced what it feels like to be voluptuous and abundant! It looks and I am sure feels far sexier than looking like an undernourished boy!
And another note to the two Scarey Mary's pictured above - Kate and Victoria - when you are that skinny you look like you have the wrong head on!

OK - rant over! Feel better now. Normal Blogging service will be resumed over the weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    You go girl !! So right, the emphasis on our outside appearance all wrong. Our children are bombarded with images of 'perfection' all the time, it's so wrong... Just back from a big lunch full of calories, now that tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - these are scary looking women!! There is nothing normal about being that skinny.
    Daria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what to say here - your points are so obviously correct I feel that I have nothing to add!

    I will just say, though, that I really like your phrase "minus-size models" and will use it from now on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a huge industry out there devoted to keeping women convinced that their body shape must conform to this skeletal image. I don't know precisely how much this industry is worth but when you think of the magic medicines, the diets that are "guaranteed" to work, not to mention the gymns and the personal trainers, the profits must be ginormous. And the victims are the silly women who think if they conform they too can be the proud possessor of this strange size 0 or whatever. And what about the ads on the telly at the moment advertising cosmetic surgery with this twinkly american telling us that a little slice off here and a small bit added on there will mean we'll live happier ever after. No matter what harm we're doing to ourselves. And I haven't even begun on gastric bands. Grrrr. Sorry. Didn't mean to go on. See what you started Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed your rant. I agree wholeheartedly. This attitude is the main culprit for all the eating disorders out there. Skinny is not beautiful. Healthy is beautiful. It is not attractive to have legs that look like they could break at any moment if you took another step. You should do a Paris Hilton on it and copyright your, "Minus Sized Models" I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be the case that along with minus sized bodies go minus sized minds:its sad that these misguided women need a plus size wake-up call!x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That you all for your comments and proving that you are all normal women. How do we save our girl children from this bullshit? And as Brigid and Noirin say - how do we protect them from all the current focus on body beautiful? It is so unhealthy. I want my girls to know that they are Goddessses regardless of how they look. Their Goddessness comes from the very fact that they are women. I want them to embrace their femaleness - in all its glory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well speaking as a definite 'supersize' woman (really! I am BIG but very happy with my womanly goddessness lol) - I agree with all you say and really feel for the girls of today with all the noxious and unrealistic programming and images they are bombarded with!

    Oooh, I can feel a rant coming on too!! I may have to write a blog post about it sometime or I shall be here all day! ;-)

    Great post Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fantastic rant and I couldn't agree more. It's insanity - and have you seen Posh's feet - they're completely fecked after tottering around in skyscraper heels. Crazy, crazy ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said Barbara! I'm sick of seeing skinny size zero models in the magazines/t.v. Hopefully the trend will change sometime soon:)

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback!